[time-nuts] ADF4002 phase noise - in FireFly-IIA-100MHz

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 11 21:56:53 UTC 2010

Thats only true when the current source noise dominates.
When switching jitter on the pulse eges dominates the pulse width has no
effect (to first order) on the noise.

Since the supply rails are relatively noisy in an FPGA the current
source noise will usually dominate in a CMOS XOR implemented in an FPGA.

If the XOR supply noise can be made very low then its possible that the
switching jitter noise contribution dominates.
One example being the classical diode ring mixer with both IF and LO
ports saturated.

Bruce