[time-nuts] Choke Ring Pictures

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 22:44:06 UTC 2010

Brian wrote:

> "There were also comments about surveying and timing antennas."
Those may of been from me, unsuccessfully trying to make a point of the
difference between what is 'Best' and what is 'GOOD enough'.

> "about every national timing laboratory uses choke ring antennas.   ...
> for timing stability reasons."
Then again they also have multiple CS and Just their Antenna budget is
likely more than the annual income of most time nuts.
Can you do a test to show IF there is ANY improvement for the AVERAGE time
nut when compared to a well setup (Tbolt) GPSDO using a TacoSalad antenna?

Would be interesting to see a plot of cost vs. performance for the various
antenna types,
Scaled to show the performance improvement that the average Time nut would
see.
The TacoSalad antenna, originally cost me a total of $7.95, And took under
30 seconds to build.
That cost should be discounted because those parts had been considered just
throw away junk up until now.

ws