[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sat Mar 20 00:38:37 UTC 2010

One big favor you can do your 5065A is to check the ESR of the electrolytics
on the A11 oven driver board.  C23 and C24 were open on mine, as was the
other instance of the same 20 uF cap on the battery-charger board, and the
lamp driver assembly had experienced overheating to a point that was
sufficient to char a resistor and crack it open.  I'm not sure how, or if,
those two caps would cause total control-loop failure, but there was
apparently nothing else wrong with this unit that could explain the
overheating.

-- john, KE5FX