[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Mar 20 08:08:39 UTC 2010

Corby,

What I meant by "darkening" was that the photocell current and the
second harmonic were at half of their minimum value given in the manual.
I don't know what happens in the RVFR to cause that.

Why would a clear bulb have a low output? Can you refer me to something
to read? I haven't found the right words to get Google to reveal any
useful links.

Several years after I bought the 5065 in 2003, there was not enough
second harmonic to maintain control, saturating the integrator. So I
followed the cure for cell flooding given in the manual. After 10 days
the second harmonic stopped improving at about 10 on the meter.

Something appears to be microphonic in the photocell. A sharp tap to
the case causes the second harmonic to peg the meter briefly. A Tracor
308 does something similar, but it doesn't have a meter for anything
but error - the red Unlocked light comes on briefly.

Perhaps my brain is darkening with age . . .

Bill Hawkins