[time-nuts] Wavecrest vs. HP 5370 vs. SR620 Jitter measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 20 14:02:39 UTC 2010

Demian Martin wrote:
>> At some point I'll re-run tempco and jitter measurements of the dividers
> and 1PPS distribution amps >I have here.
>> Last time I used a 5370B and a SR620. This time I'd like to try a
> Wavecrest. If someone on the list >has done this already can you let me
> know?
>
>> Thanks,
>> /tvb
>
> I have read through the data sheets on all of these and am very interested
> in the differences in reality. The Wavecrest claims 2 pS Jitter measurement.
> The HP has a single shot resolution of 20 pS, The SR620 is 25 pS and the
> Wavecrest specs say 20 pS. How does the Wavecrest get .1X minimum Jitter
> measurement of the others with the same resolution? Can that trick be
> applied to the others?

The resolution of the DTS-207x series is 800 fs. Getting about 2 ps RMS
trigger jitter is achievable with a good source. Slew-rate limits the
noise just as with any other trigger jitter. Yes, the Wavecrest blows
the SR-620 and HP5370A/B out of the water. The Wavecrests is a bit more
resistive to operate, but when you convinced them they do their job well.

Cheers,
Magnus