[time-nuts] Divider pecking order ?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Mar 21 23:30:12 UTC 2010

> Group,
>
> If Dave P's current divider design has design jitter specs approaching
> SOTA vvs cost levels whilst the TAPR board is (perhaps) slightly
> inferior in performance, where does that leave Tom's venerable 1pps PIC
> divider in the pecking order ?
>
> Will all designs be subjected to a "back-to-back" run-off sometime soon
> ?  This would save us mere mortals without the means of verifying actual
> jitter performance much angst and gnashing of teeth !
>
> Good work chaps.
>
> Kit
> VK2LL

Hi Kit,

My guess is all of the dividers are more than good enough. But...

Since the question of jitter comes up now and then, and since
there are several new dividers in the queue this year, I thought
I'd settle it once and for all and actually measure as many as I
can find.

An added bonus is that Magnus is able and willing to do the same
and that means not only can we compare divider jitter but we can
compare methods to measure divider jitter. In this field validating
and comparing methods is as important as making measurements.

As for pecking order? I don't really know yet. Wait to see if
Peter picks a peck of pulsing picosecond PICs.

/tvb