[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime (soldering kovar)

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Mon Mar 22 21:56:51 UTC 2010

<time-nuts at febo.com>

> 03/21/2010 10:52 PM

> Re: [time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime
>
> Sent by:
>
> time-nuts-bounces at febo.com
>
> Hi
>
> One thing to be careful about with all this tinning of strange
materials:

> There is indeed a way to get it *almost right". The lead wets
> with solder and the lead will indeed pass a tug test. Thermo-
> cycle the lead a dozen times and you can pull it right out of
> the solder.
>
> If you are going to do this on any "mission critical" devices,
> it's best to check the result fairly carefully until you are
> sure of your materials and technique.
>
> --------------------
>
> While I have no direct experience with a problem, I  also
> suspect you would want to keep your stash of phosphoric acid
> away from any un-tinned kovar leads. Kovar it's self will not
> solder, but it's oxide will. Strip the oxide and you have a
> significant problem. You have to get the stuff very hot to re-
> form the oxide you need.

I'm surprised by this.  In the 1970s, I had the kovar leads on some nixie
tubes become unsolderable (probably due to minor corrosion - the leads
looked OK), and solved the problem by dipping the leads in dilute sulfuric
acid (battery acid diluted 10:1, so about 2% strength) for a few seconds
and washing off in tap water.  I would assume that the acid pickling
removed an offending oxide layer.

Joe Gwinn