[time-nuts] connectors Re: FW: Re: Low-Cost 6+ GHz Prescaler board for

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Mar 26 14:12:25 UTC 2010

Hi John:

When HP came out with the first VNA (8410) I attended one of the demos.
Part of that was testing a BNC cable over the microwave range.  It
worked much better than I expected.  It turns out that the cores of a
type-N, TNC and BNC connector are all the same and they will properly
interface with each other (after some modification to allow it).  The
problem with panel mount BNC connectors is the back side where the
impedance is not controlled.  If you use a panel mount BNC-BNC connector
it's impedance is quite good.

Trompeter used to make a series of connectors (N, TNC, BNC) that all had
the same panel side outline.  I used them in a family of Wilkinson power
dividers.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com