[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Mar 27 16:42:23 UTC 2010

Hi

The zero g thing comes from the stress / strain relationships on the crystal. It's a function of the crystal cut, the blank orientation and the way the blank in mounted inside the crystal package. It all gets pretty involved and there are multiple patents on various ways to get around this or that mounting effect.

If you know the cut, the blank orientation, the mounting approach of the blank in the holder, and the holder's orientation relative to the outside of the oscillator, you can make some informed guesses weather the X, Y, or Z plane will have the lowest shift when the oscillator is rotated through 360 degrees. None of them will be zero G by themselves unless you are lucky. Finding the zero G axis always involves careful rotation on each principle axis and some vector math.

In most real environments vibration is a three axis sort of thing. In order to optimize you would also need vector information about your vibration environment to really make use of your knowledge about the oscillator. Even lining up with your major vibration axis will normally only help a bit. Things tend to move up / down, left / right and front / back all at the same time.

If you are on a platform with predictable high G acceleration characteristics like an artillery shell, then the zero G orientation thing may be more helpful.

Bob