[time-nuts] TBolt: UTC PPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 29 19:09:44 UTC 2010

> When there's a leap second, what do you want to do?

> Ignore it = GPS time
> put in an extra pulse = UTC time

Nice try, but that's not how it's done.  They put in an extra second in the
last minute of the day.
  23:59:59
  23:59:60
  00:00:00

Humm.  Isn't that backwards.  Don't you want to remove a pulse?  Inserting a
leap-second is equivalent to stopping the clock for a tick.

I suppose you could setup a microprocessor that listened to the text and mask
out a pulse at the right time.

That would delay the PPS pulse by the prop time through an AND gate so we
could come up with time-nut level schemes to fix that.

Or you could just wait for the next leap second and stick your finger in the
works at the right time.