[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Mar 29 20:58:19 UTC 2010

> Now if you really want some fun connect your OCXO to a
> one meter cable and let it swing like a pendulum clock. You
> should see some very nice sinusoidal FM as it goes back
> and forth. Devise some sort of mechanical, compressed air,
> or magnetic impulse system to keep it running like that all day.
>
> /tvb

It works! http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/10811-g/

Bob, it would seem the frequency shifts in this swinging
10811 oscillator are all acceleration related and not due
to internal temperature variations, right? I could imagine
there are (longer time constant) thermal effects for a full
2g turn-over, but not with this short ~1 Hz period.

In fact you can see a slight, probably temperature gradient
related, frequency drift after a full 2g turn (I waited about
5 minutes after each turn):

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/ocxo-2g/TBolt-2g-6axis.gif

/tvb