[time-nuts] HP 11729C versus 11848A

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri May 7 19:13:54 UTC 2010

It's not really the mixer's fault -- there are a couple of other things to
keep in mind with the 11729.  The most important is that you can't measure
10 MHz sources with it unless you install an LPF in front of the LNA,
something with a cutoff on the order of 1-2 MHz.  At 10 MHz and below, the
USB output from the phase detector at <= 20 MHz will drive the LNA into
compression.  The manual warns you against using IFs in that range with
microwave downconversion, but the same problem applies at baseband, and over
a wider frequency range than they say it does.  Without the additional
filter in place, you shouldn't try to measure anything under about 30-40
MHz.

You will lose the ability to view PN at offsets greater than the LPF cutoff,
of course, but the 1-10 MHz decade isn't usually very interesting anyway.

Second, the ALC-limited amplifier in the 11729 seems to have a PN floor in
the -155 to -160 dBc/Hz neighborhood, while as you noticed the 11848A brings
its mixer ports directly to the front panel.  (You still have to use
outboard isolation amps to measure OCXOs with the 11848A, but they can be
much quieter than what's in the 11729).

The specs in the 11729 manual are worse because they are talking about the
best results achievable with microwave downconversion, I believe, and/or the
best results achievable with downmixing from the 8662A as Christophe says.
The baseband performance is much better than specified, if you use a clean
reference, but it's still not quite what you need to measure 10811s and the
like.  For that you're better off gaining direct access to the mixer.

It helps to think of the 11729 as a collection of useful modules that can be
rearranged as needed for specific low-noise measurements.  Adding the
pre-LNA filter is job #1, IMO.

-- john, KE5FX