[time-nuts] Fluke monitor

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed May 12 21:09:44 UTC 2010

Must be the Y2.01K bug...

Sorry about the problems being reported recently.
While I have no association with Bob of Fluke.l, he is using my design and he was kind enough to send me one demo model, which I have yet to turn on.

In general, if the processor is not fried, there is very little that can go wrong:

1) check that the serial data getting to the processor is clean. Noise on these lines in unforgiving since the protocol has no error detection or correction. In my design, I use a single bipolar transistor to convert the RS-232 to TTL. Not the best way to do it if noise is a concern. It works fine for me, but YMMV....

2) check the interface to the LCD. There are 7 wires in addition to ground and +5V. An intermittent connection with cause trouble.

3) check the supply voltage. Most regulators should work fine with 7V input, more voltage only makes more heat. With an LCD display, the current consumption should be low (20 to 50mA) and relatively constant, mostly a function of the backlight. With a VFD display, the consumption is quite a bit higher (several hundred mA) and fluctuates depending on how many segments (pixels) are turned on.

Didier