Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 13 11:13:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:09:02AM +0100, Alan Melia wrote:
> Nice reference thanks for those Stanley...interesting, thought provoking
> reading! Moving apart and possibly changining the relative positions of the
> plane of the swing too to test the coupling.  There are ways of measuring
> this if you have the time :-)) My thought was that even an uncoupled set
> might move closer together if all subject to the same external "impulse"?

With physical oscillators coupling is limited by the speed of sound (in
the medium, with pendulum clocks wood is lots quicker than air with
3-4 km/s) with electronic oscillators the speed of light. Latter means
that their distance has to be short enough so that they lie within
each other's lightcone within roughly the period of oscillation orelse they
couldn't possibly causally influence each other.

At THz half light cone is some 0.3 mm, GHz is about 0.3 m, MHz 300 m, kHz 300 km.