[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 13:44:44 UTC 2010

My experiences with these serial USB adapters has been very good but
I've sort of only used these with Linux. They should be recognised by
the OS as a serial port providing device and allocated a device. You
need to find out what that device is as it's unlikely to be the next
COM port in succession to your on board serial ports. If you cannot
find it any other way under Windows, try opening Control
Panels->System->Hardware Devices->Ports and you should see it listed
there (plug in/out to see it come and go).

Under Linux you get a nice usbtty device automatically created when
one is plugged in. I've then linked that to a dosdevices com device
under the .wine directory and things like Z38XX.exe or GPSCon.exe work
fine under wine. If your using VMWare, you can easily allow it to take
over the usb device and it will allocate a com port so I see no reason
why it should not work on a straight Windows box (only tried in XP
though)

Steve

On 24 May 2010 22:01, Neville Michie <namichie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been reading the posts with interest.
> My biggest difficulty with ex-telecom GPSDO units has been
> trying to get a USB to serial converter on a PC to talk to the unit.
> There always seems to be another layer that has to be set before it works.
> So far I have always managed to make them work in the end, but getting the
> COM port allocation and baud rate in not enough, there is some other
> allocation to be set.
> Modern PCs do not gladly speak to COM ports, but will do in the end.
> Just when I have forgotten what I did last time, I decide to connect it to a
> laptop or an alternate
> PC, and the fun starts all over again. It would be very easy to think that
> the GPSDO was not talking.
>
> cheers, Neville Michie

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.