[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon May 24 18:51:41 UTC 2010

> Anyway, the key was having "null modem adapters" that are clearly
> identified as such, and everything else straight through.

I've had pretty good luck with the same sort of approach.

One aspect that hasn't been discussed much is the sex of the connectors.  PCs
have male DB-9s.  The other type of gear usually has female (eg TBolt) so
most of the time a straight-through M-F cable is all you need.  They are also
handy as extension cords.

My null-modems are F-F DB-9s.  I use cables rather than tiny gizmos.

I think I have a few M-F null modem cables to handle the strange cases, but I
consider them to be evil and try to keep them from getting mixed up with the
good cables.  (I know we had a handful of them at work because I botched the
first try at a board. Sigh.)

For totally evil, don't forget the cables used by APC UPS boxes.  At least
they are black rather than grey.

I mark cables with || or X.