[time-nuts] Most accurate small crystal

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 14:05:06 UTC 2010

Hi Bob,

On 28 May 2010 04:32, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> There are a raft of papers on each of the sub portions of the fitting
> process. Aging, retrace, temperature, and acceleration all have their own
> issues and fit approaches.
>
> The whole "how (and why that way) do they test a chronometer?" is something
> there's a lot of papers on as well. Some of them date back into the 1600's.
>
> Where do you want to start?

I'll probably start in the middle and figure out if I'm in the right
place before I move from there. What I'm looking for are any docs on
the various ways that xtal oscillators are affected, IE. drift over
short time, long time, temp, pressure, humidity, gravitational effects
of the Moon and the Earth, that sort of thing, things that have been
studied and can be modelled for a xtal. I'm interested in what has
been done by others to try and correct as much as possible, IE. ocxo
et al, and to predict changes in an undisciplined xtal. When I look at
the efc of my gpsdo I can see the effects of drift and temp changes
and I'd like to look at the predictability of that. I'm excluding
other forms of noise and xtal flips from this as they are outside any
form of predictable control.

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;