[time-nuts] A real world project need for timing accuracy...

Jean-Louis Oneto Jean-Louis.Oneto at obs-azur.fr
Wed Nov 3 00:47:26 UTC 2010

In the atmosphere, if your aperture is smaller than the R_0 (Fried
parameter, typically about 1~2" in daylight, can be several feet by a still
night), your resolution is similar to that corresponding at your aperture,
and the whole image will seems to move. If your aperture is greater than
R_0, the image will explode in several "speckles", each with a size
corresponding to the diffraction limit of your aperture, grouped in a
cluster corresponding to the diffranction limit of R_0, and the pattern of
the speckle will change rapidly (several 10's of Hz). You can exploit the
theoritical diffraction limit by using a fast camera, processing each frame
(autocorrelation or FFT) and then averaging the results. (search "Speckle
Interferometry" for details, that will hardly be low-cost or easy...)
HTH,
Regards,
Jean-Louis