[time-nuts] A real world project need for timing accuracy...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 04:09:22 UTC 2010

Don Latham wrote:
> Right, William...I knew someone in the group had shot a lot...
> I wonder how well the locus of the bullet throught the measurement plane
> is measured if it has gone subsonic.
> Don

if you're using acoustic methods, subsonic projectiles don't give you as
nice a transient to mark timing with.  However, if you're putting
sensors on the target (as the OP talked about) then there's no problem.

It occurs to me that if you needed to time and place slower projectiles,
some form of video or line sensor array (essentially a sky screen kind
of idea, integrating over an appropriate interval)