[time-nuts] GPS USB dongle for time server

mike cook mike.cook at orange.fr
Tue Nov 9 07:57:14 UTC 2010

Le 09/11/2010 06:50, jim s a écrit :

> The other thing I didn't state was that I got the USB receiver out of
> a discard frenzy at the place I'm working, and got it to work with a
> freebe program on windows XP.  It's a Holux GM-210.
>
> They do make an RS232 version, but I got the USB one.  It says it uses
> the Sirf Star II in the document.  I suspect if one pried open the box
> it would have pinouts for RS232 in the pod I have.

As your original post indicated that your were not needingt a really
accurate reference, you could download the Meinberg NTP implementation
for windows XP and let that keep your clock sync'd via the NMEA stream.
Even with a USB hocky puck like yours which is really designed for PDA
navigation, you should be able to get the desired accuracy. Better
receivers can do <10ms on USB, though I cannot find the specs for your
device in the user manual.

  BEWARE: you will be in the situation of a man with one watch.