[time-nuts] How does one actually do Allan variation graphs?

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 05:41:09 UTC 2010

List,

Allan variation is good.  Allan variation can reveal valuable information.

But when it comes to do it I feel like Lou Costello in Who’s On First?

I’ve been an electronics technician all my working life.  Math beyond A squared plus B squared equals C squared is beyond my abilities.

I have quite a bit of test equipment and several computers.

What I need is a Dummy’s Guide to Making Allan Variation Measurements.

I’ve looked at Wikipedia and I am as lost as when I started.

Could someone walk me through the process step by step and also tell me what test equipment is required?

TIA

Perrier