[time-nuts] Getting Started in High Precision Timing

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 16:19:44 UTC 2010

I have been a software hacker for years but have never really done too
much hardware hacking.  I have been looking at oxco modules, but the
data sheets of various vendors do not really provide me with a good
basis as to what such an oscillator would provide me.  I assume its
just oscillation given the given frequency.  Do any of you all have
any good links/resources aside from what a basic google would provide,
as to how to get the data from the oscillator at a pulse-per-second
rate allowing me to do some basic timing.  Really, I'm just looking
for some first steps in hacking on these high-precision oscillators.

Matt,

Yes I'm sure many on this list have large collections information but you would
need to be very specific to receive an answer, make, model, and which spec.
Several projects can be found in the list archives for dividing the oxco rate to
the PPS rate. Check the TAPR web site for a TADD-2 PPS divider. In general you
accumulate all sorts of lab grade test equipment or make your own equipment to
measure the output. The catch 22 is you need a better reference to measure a
unknown device. Most start with GPSDO and a Time Interval Counter / Frequency
Counter a way to log your data to process on a computer is good unless you want
to go old school with pen and paper and stop watch ;-)

Stanley