[time-nuts] Hyperterminal with variable baud rate

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Thu Nov 18 18:04:52 UTC 2010

Corby Dawson <cdelect at juno.com> wrote:

> At the lower clock rate I can't communicate as the corrected baud rate
> comes out to 955 baud.
> [...]
> Are there any terminal programs out there that allow you to select rates
> other than the standard values?

The restriction to standard baud rates only is a hardware limitation (in
the standard UARTs), not a software one.  With standard PC UARTs the
baud rate can only be 115200/N where N is an integer; with most non-PC
UARTs it's often even more restrictive as they use a clock MUX with, say,
16 inputs rather than a divider which you can program like the PC UART.

MS