[time-nuts] Back slash in URLs

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Nov 19 07:57:00 UTC 2010

> Both slashes work fine for me!

There are two areas that I know of that lead to horrible confusion between
Windows and Unix systems and users.  Both involve strange characters in file
names.  One is \, the other is space.

Unix/Linux systems use \ for magic in command line parsers and scripts.  That
is \* means a literal * rather than all the files in the right context.  (So
does "*".)

The other problem is spaces.  If you are using a GUI, spaces aren't much of a
problem.  But if you cut/paste, they don't work unless you are sharp enough
to notice the problem and put "s around them or some other workaround.

It's much simpler to use _ or - rather than space if you have a multi word filename.