[time-nuts] Changing frequency of an HP 10811 oscillator

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Sun Nov 21 20:00:09 UTC 2010

Demian,

the big question is, what are your requirements?
Long term stability, phase noise, ADEV,...?

You'll probably spend a multiple of what a finished product costs to get
the 10811A with a cstom made x-tal on specs. Not to speak of the phase
noise test equipment needed, that will break your bank if you have to
rent it for a couple of weeks...

The easiest way to get 20 MHz out of a 10811A is to double the output
frequency.
The next option would be to phase lock a 20 MHz VCXO to the 10811A.
Obviously, you can also divide a 80 MHz, 100 MHz etc. oscillator down to
20 MHz.

So, the question is, what do you really need?

Adrian