[time-nuts] temperature stability basics

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Fri Nov 26 22:43:50 UTC 2010

That's what those golden thermal blankets are on spacecraft and in
cryostats. I'm not quite sure whether the golden color comes from a
deposited film of Au, or whether it's color comes from the Mylar. It's
more likely the former. I've seen the stuff up close, but have not worked
wit it personally.

Anyway, the blankets are made of a mulit-layer sandwich of the film and
something like spider web as spacers between layers. In vacuum there is no
convective transfer, the spider spacers reduce conduction, and the
metalization reduces radiation.

Best,

-John