[time-nuts] If there a FAQ

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 29 08:31:13 UTC 2010

> I know I can zero-beat  it by ear and get within a couple Hz out of 10MHz.
> That is better then 1E-6 simply by hand, ear and screwdriver. No computer.

How do you get down to "a couple Hz"?  I thought most (young?) ears dropped
out at about 20 Hz and I expect lots of radios chop off more than that just
to get rid of noise.

Can you center the screw between two I-hear-it spots?

> I figure my first upgrade is to replace the crystal with a temperature
> compensated oscilator chip.   Now to go find one.

Don't get too focused on TCXOs.  You are just as likely to find a low cost
OCXO.

While you are looking, keep an eye open for a TBolt or Z3801A.  (or one of
the Z38xxA variations)  If you find one at a reasonable price, they have an
incredible price/performance ratio.  If you hang around here for long, you
will probably get one anyway.  Unless you like the sort of fiddling you have
described, getting one now will save you a lot of time/effort.