[time-nuts] OT: NTP server questions

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 14:46:55 UTC 2010

Basically I need something to provide time within one second.  I can't roll
my own in this case.  At home I have a Soekris box with a custom built gps
board for my normal level of time-nuttery but this is not for home.  I'm
looking for commercially made rack mount servers that will not have Internet
access for reference and will need to rely on gps.   The system will need to
serve time to less than 100 systems but it will live in a nasty environment
in the back of a humvee (or something like an S-250 electronics enclosure)
with no air conditioning of any sort.  I'm currently looking at Symmetricom,
Trimble NetRS, EndRun, and Meinberg.

Also, I apologize if I'm breaching protocol with this thread.  This is just
about the first post I ever saw on this list that didn't get a steady stream
of replies.  I was actually questioning if this even made it into the list
till I saw this reply.  Yes this is for work and I could really use some
opinions on this stuff since dropping $4-6k isn't in my nature to do at home
for a network clock so I never gave this thought before.

Thanks again,
Bob

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com