[time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Oct 5 21:52:31 UTC 2010

Hi

Ok, the next layer to this onion is the antenna. At 100KC your antenna is 35X smaller than it is on 80 meters foot for foot. In other words, your 100' tall vertical on 80 equates to a <3 foot tall antenna at 100 KC. QRP on 80 with a 3' transmit antenna anybody? Been there done that, not much range at all. At VLF forget about transmitting with a horizontal antenna unless you are airborne.

It's not just the antenna, the ground counts as well. If you are by the seashore that may not be a big deal. If you are inland, prepare to lay many very long radials.

After that you hit signal to noise. The receivers worked as well as they did because they had an enormous signal to work with. There's an amazing amount of crud running around down below 200 KHz these days. Even for timing you need a lot of signal to get good results.

Bob
KB8TQ

Ham for way more than 30 years....