[time-nuts] Alternative to GPS?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 22:00:42 UTC 2010

The GOES xponder if on was still good. Just no sig.
Boy I think it was millisecond range as I recall. Believe it was truly a
time of Day transport.
Though I think you could get pretty good accuracy over long periods of time.
They may have used it to xmit freq info. I used it only for time. Beat the
heck out of wwv. Kind of always there.
I remember doppler shift came into play and the time of year. I actually
tracked some geo sats with known color burst signals originating from the
facility I ran. Been years.
My reference was 2 X very good crystal oven sync gens. But one customer that
we uplinked to the satellites was the CBS network who ran color burst
derived from cesium references. I would adjust the xtals to that ref for
the facilities 22 cable networks that we originated. Since the ovens were on
24 X 7 forever. They were very very stable.
Regards
Paul