[time-nuts] Question about SoundCard stability?

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 15 14:04:18 UTC 2010

Hi I do not follow al the techniques in detail but a lot of work has been
done on soundcard sampling rates in the low frequency amateur radio groups
where GPS locking is used to extract very weak signals from the noise in
very narrow band widths. It has been found that some of the supposed
standard samping rates are not exact divisors of the clock crystal and are
achieved by a bodge in teh software but are regarded as "close enough" for
some audio work The 11kHz rate is a particularly odd one but many of the
8kHz rates are quite a way off. There are several ways of locking the
spectrogram software to a harmonic of the 1pps.

If there is interest I may be able to dig out some URLs  a quick check didnt
yield what I wanted to show.

Alan G3NYK