[time-nuts] New (refurbished) LPRO-101 GPSDO

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Sun Oct 17 09:55:37 UTC 2010

I just received my LPRO-101 with a GPSDO control on it, from
TenMhz.com. After fiddling with getting a good placement for the GPS
antenna, so that it doesn't keep losing the satellites, I have been
attempting to discipline the oscillator for more than 24 hours.

At this point, the LED has been toggling red / green for the past 24
hours which indicates solid GPS acquisition and < 5e-8. But it isn't
locked to NIST until it turns solid green which indicates < 5e-11.

Since this is a first deployment at my location, is it reasonable
behavior for it to take longer than 24 hours to lock to NIST through
GPS? Or do you think something may be wrong with the device.

I already know by comparison to WWV that I'm within a few mHz of
being aligned, but noise in the measurements, human impatience, and
wander in the soundcard clock, prevents me knowing any better than
this. So already I'm < 5e-10. But that's about all I know until I see
it lock. (If it ever does...)

eh?

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer