[time-nuts] homebrew H maser

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Sep 2 05:36:05 UTC 2010

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> The gas diffusing out through the drilled bolt.. sure it's drilled, but  the
> conductance is so patheticaly low, you're literally waiting until  the gas
> molecules happen to randomly bounce their wey up the hole.

I've never worked with vacuum gear.

I assume "drilled bolt" refers to a bolt through a drilled hole so there is
some slop between the bolt and the hole.

Can I use vacuum grease as a seal around the bolt?  Or does it outgas too
much if you are going for seriously low pressures?

Can I use a soft(er) metal washer and mash it to a gas tight fit by
tightening the bolt enough?

How low a pressure does a H maser need?   Where is it relative to say
fingerprints outgassing?

Is there an easy to understand scale of difficulty?  (like dishes rattle for
the Richter scale)