[time-nuts] Maser info (rough pumping)

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Thu Sep 2 18:56:20 UTC 2010

>With the triode pumps you only need the vacsorbs for roughing, as they
will start at a higher pressure!

I have changed two ion pumps so far and only used the vacsorbs to get
back in operation.

The vacsorbs and accessories were eBay buys over a period of a few months
and very reasonable compared to a turbo pump!

>As far as the hydrogen supply I had considered replacing the bottle with
a hydride storage unit.

There were several different units I looked at a year or so ago and they
were fairly reasonable and compact.

>If I had to homebrew a hydrogen "leak" I would use thin wall nickel
tubing instead of the palladium plug.

There are details in some of the maser stuff on-line about its
construction.

Corby Dawson