[time-nuts] Freestanding mast

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Sep 3 05:08:26 UTC 2010

Stanley wrote:

>ROHN 9H50 34 Foot Telescopic TV Wireless Antenna Push Up Mast

Interesting suggestion.  Rohn is well known to me, though I don't
typically think of them for things like push-up masts.

For those suggesting 6-10' of pipe, at my rooftop I get a reception
cone of about 50 degrees elevation and above during the vegetated
months (say, mid-March through mid-November), and about 30 degrees
and above in the dead of winter, due mostly to dense tree cover that
is 60-80 feet tall.  So, I'd really need to get 20 feet + above the
chimney (50+ feet above the ground) for a significant
improvement.  The suburban residential lot size doesn't leave me much
to work with (no centrally-located tower, therefore no guys unless I
negotiated easements with the neighbors, and Hell will never be that
cold...).  I doubt I could get a permit for 80' of Rohn 55.  Maybe if
I put a wind generator on it....

Thanks again,

Charles