[time-nuts] PTS040 problems, was "manual for Racal 1998 and 1999...."

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 22:44:59 UTC 2010

eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es writes:

Yes, I have downloaded them for the PTS 160, 500, 3200 and X10 and you
are correct, all those synthesizers share the same basic principles and
maybe some modules, but I found that the frequencies involved are not
the same.

--------------------
Hi Ignacio

You might also want to download  the manual for the PTS310 from Didier's
site, that and the PTS160 manual  probably incorporate most of the variations
that matter.
---------------------

The problem with mine is that it shows frequency errors at
some settings and when it happens the generated signal shows bad
spectral purity.  Maybe a module went mistuned due to a component aging
or failure and having the right manual while is not a must it would be
very helpfull.

---------------------
I've not owned a PTS040 so am not familiar with  its structure, but my
guess is it will either include a bank of DM1000 modules  for steps below 100KHz
as per the PTS160 or a fine resolution section similar  to the PTS310.

If it includes a bank of DM1000 modules,  possibly DM2000 modules if a
later unit, these should all be  interchangeable and, assuming none are faulty
can be swapped around without  causing any functional problems. The modules
plug in and are retained with  three screws from below.

You then have the option of swapping DM1000  modules around to try and
isolate the fault to a particular module or could  perhaps identify the likely
module by looking for a pattern in those settings  where the problem occurs.

This, of course, assumes that the problems are  occurring at switch
settings for increments below 100KHz.
If the problem  seems to be associated with higher increment switching the
substitution option  no longer applies but there are then less modules to
worry about.
If the  PTS040 uses a fine resolution section that does make life a bit
more awkward  but, as I commented earlier, it's possible that the PTS310 manual
might then be  of assistance.

I might be able to be a bit more specific if you  could send me a list of
the module numbers fitted, or perhaps some high res  photos of top and bottom
views with the covers off, and perhaps an idea of any  pattern to the
problem frequencies?

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR