[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Pete Rawson peterawson at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 22:56:41 UTC 2010

Well; maybe more to it. Ballon tether carries a few watts to transmit
from the ballon altitude to all other sites.

At predetermined times the master site balloon transmits to the other
sites. The other sites respond with their estimated time. The master
provides corrected time.

Knowing past history of path properties & precise (ballon) location
at each transmission (data sent with transmission); the rest should
be easy. The master has to precisely locate its own balloon just
prior to transmitting to the other sites. even if it's balloon is wandering,
a short (10ms) delay to transmit will create negligible error.

Ballons might be at each site to create redundant data & suffer a few
lost ballons while waiting for replacements, or to switch time master.
It might be necessary to update path properties just prior to timing.

Pete Rawson