[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 03:23:51 UTC 2010

~ 1ft  = 1 ns for coax, but 1000-2000 us is common delay for long phone lines
which is very frequency dependent, you would want unloaded circuits, loading
coils would make for more problems. My experience with metallic circuits is
limited to less than 10 miles at some point you would need an
amplifier/repeater. I do know noise and cross talk and other impairments are
common. Data modem design is quite complicated but I don't think they are very
predictable as far as delay goes, except delay increases and transfer rate
decreases with impairments.

Stanley