[time-nuts] Thunderbolt initial check out?

k6rtm at comcast.net k6rtm at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 14:49:47 UTC 2010

Go with Lady Heather. Install it using John's files
(from http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/heather/readme.htm), and use the 3.0 Beta code -- it's far more solid than the "production" code shipped by a lot of vendors.

One of the really great things that happens when you install it is that you get a shortcut to a Tbolt at John's place. You can double-click on that icon and see a working Tbolt! A lot of the parameters are going to look different, but you can get a look at one that's working.

If you're serious about this (you'll know in a few hours) I recommend setting up Lady Heather in its client/server mode, even if you think you're only going to be running it for yourself. This is described in the documentation; as mentioned earlier the most complex part may be figuring out which COM port you're on.

A big advantage to the server-client setup is that you can ask a Thunderbolt Wizard (such as Warren) to take a look at it, opine on its qualities, and give you insightful and useful suggestions for getting the most out of your particular beast. You can also check in on it remotely.

Yes, this requires punching a hole in your firewall. Hopefully you're using a (hardware) stateful firewall such as in a stand-alone router or switch, in addition to the Windows firewall. (a different approach is to allow ssh or other secure tunnel into the box and use a tool such as VNC).

Have fun! There's a wealth of information (and opinion) in the archives.

73 Bob K6RTM