[time-nuts] HP 3586 entirely referenced to 10MHz: A solution II

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Apr 4 13:29:47 UTC 2011

Hi Didier,

If you want to convert the Xtal to a VCO, you will have to adjust the parallel
capacitance so that the crystal can get above the desired frequency, and then
design the varactor circuit so that it can pull from there to below the desired
frequency...which should be possible if the crystal was capable of being tuned
on frequency.

The crystal might be high enough Q to run in a PLL with a very high division ratio,
but I would still expect it to hiccup around about the period of the divider.... but
as you say, it might not matter.

The DDS works out to be such a simple solution, I think the minuscule offset is
hardly worth getting worked up over.

-Chuck