[time-nuts] T.I. experimenting - newbie question

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Tue Apr 5 02:25:10 UTC 2011

Hal,

Here are the results I got using your suggestion. The numbers may be a
bit different than last night as I'm not sure I'm using the same
cable.

A+, B+ = 18.9 ns
A-, B- = 19.4 ns

Obviously there is some difference in delay between the A and B
channels. Otherwise, the two numbers would have been identical -
correct?

If I take the average of the two readings, I get 19.05 ns, which is
more precise than the readings I'm taking. I'm rounding to the nearest
0.1 ns on the readings.

A+, B- = 5014.6 ns
A-, B+ = 5023.5 ns

If I take the average of these two readings and subtract out the 5 us
for 1/2 period of the 100 KHz square wave, if get 19.15 ns. This
agrees very closely with the above average.

I haven't looked at the service manual for the 5328A yet, so I don't
know if I even have the proper equipment to attempt a calibration. In
the mean time, would you say that taking the average of the first two
readings is a valid method?

Joe Gray
W5JG