[time-nuts] Oncore battery backup

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 19:50:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Murray Greenman
<Murray.Greenman at rakon.com> wrote:
> Why not just put a bigger battery in your UPS? I have a couple of old
> ones, and they run just fine with an old car battery, and thus give me
> many hours of backup for my Trimble/Nortel GPSDO.

Because with an Oncore you can't even move it or swap a cable.
Anything that causes the power to go down even for an instant clears
the memory and a simple $1 battery will fix this problem and last for
many years.   Yes get the UPS but the Oncore can be greatly improved
by such a simple and cheap fix that it makes sense to do it.

That said, there are commands you can send to the Oncore that will
load an almanac and a survey location.  So even after a memory loss
you can be up running in a few seconds after this data are loaded from
a computer.

--
=====
Chris Albertson