[time-nuts] BNC question

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Apr 9 23:51:36 UTC 2011

At 06:53 PM 4/9/2011, Joseph Gray wrote...
>I have an old Arcnet hub that I want to salvage the isolated BNC
>connectors from. Arcnet used 93 Ohm coax. I know that there are 50 Ohm
>and 75 Ohm versions of BNC connectors, but the ones from the hub look
>like a 50 Ohm BNC to me.

The ARCNET spec states: "The MIC for use with coaxial cable is a
conventional BNC per MIL-STD-348A." If you look at that spec, it's for
50 Ohm connectors. 75 Ohm ones don't have the insulator around the
center socket. Since ARCNET only ran at 2.5 MHz, the mismatch
apparently didn't matter.