[time-nuts] Ovenaire OCXOs

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:27:02 UTC 2011

Interesting. I have several Ovenaire OCXOs of differing models. I used to
think they were pretty stable until I compared them to my Z3801. Compared to
a '3801, they stink. But then, a rubidium stinks compared to a 3801. Most
have a voltage input for frequency adjustment but one has a trimmer cap for
coarse and a pot for fine. Over a period of several days, I would think it
had settled down only to come back and find it had suddenly shifted. As they
say, stable is a relative term. About all I can say after testing maybe a
half dozen from different manufacturers it that the specifications should be
taken with a liberal dose of salt. I have seen TCXOs do better than a lot of
OCXOs over the limited temperature range of my lab. I have a chamber and
keep saying I am going to do some temperature testing but work is always
getting in the way.