[time-nuts] PIC processor CTMU module used for sub-ns TIC applications?

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Sat Apr 16 22:20:55 UTC 2011

I see Microchip application note AN1375 at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01375a.pdf suggests that the CTMU module included in some recent PIC parts, for example PIC18F46J11 can be used as a TIC building block for interpolating time intervals with sub-ns resolution. I gather this module was originally designed for touch sensing applications; they also mention measurement of absolute and relative capacitance.

The application note merely asserts the possibility, but neglects to present a specific design. Has anyone here attempted to use a PIC CTMU in that way?

I've been studying Richard McCorkle's PICTIC-II design (1) with an eye to implementing the digital parts in a CPLD, and so far have a start/stop counter working (2). I haven't yet started on the analog part of the circuit, but now I'm wondering if Microchip has already done the work for me, in a $4 part ? (3)

(1) http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:pictic
(2) http://bealecorner.org/best/measure/time/CPLD-TIC/
(3) http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1671850-ic-pic-mcu-flash-64kb-44-tqfp-pic18f46j11-i-pt.html