[time-nuts] BNC Question

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Apr 17 01:55:34 UTC 2011

Oz-in-DFW wrote:

> BNCs can be as good as TNCs when properly applied, but the bayonet
> mechanism allows too much mechanical alignment play for reasonable
> reliability past a GHz or so.  If they are properly installed and the
> cable is not allowed to put a radial or significant tensile load they
> perform as well as a TNC and close to an N.  For all that, I won't use

FWIW:

The guts of a BNC/TNC is very similar if not identical to a type N,
which is good for at least 12.4 GHz.  The Agilent 13 GHz scopes
have "precision" (IE tight fitting) BNC connectors on the probes.
All of which of course doesn't mean the Asian BNC's you bought
at the hamfest are any good.

Rick N6RK