[time-nuts] LightSquared gets at least some political attention

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 17 09:45:52 UTC 2011

Hi <unknown name>,

On 04/17/2011 01:12 AM, lists at lazygranch.com wrote:
> You also have to wonder why cable was able to get their own HDTV standard.
>
> I did a bit of video design in the day. I was told SECAM was such a mess that the studios did everything in PAL and converted to SECAM for transmission.

You could not edit SECAM material without demodulation to component
format, so PAL editing was used when not doing component editing.

> Also, NTSC was never a standard. It was issued as a bulletin, a level beneath a standard. I have "the book" (ITV?) someplace of world standards. There are all sorts of variants amongst the standards.

CCIR/ITU-R put it into standard. I also believe I saw it in the SMPTE set.

> I've read the original papers behind the NTSC system. It seemed like decent science to me, at least in the matrix design. PAL made more sense though.
>
> The only thing that really seemed odd in NTSC was the phase shift between the colorburst reference and the color difference signals. I think it was 30 or so degrees. It certainly didn't lend itself to simple digital frame grabbing. Obviously 45 degrees would have made more sense.

It is being adjusted by the hue knob anyway... probably a practical
choice to handle difference in delay for carrier and side-bands.

Cheers,
Magnus