[time-nuts] OT: At the Flea

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 15:24:45 UTC 2011

And a very high percentage of us survived.

OK, bring on the anecdotal sob stories about someone you know who did not.

Now that some of you have your blood boiling, and forgive me John the
Moderator for contributing to the perpetuation of this OT thread, but there
has to be a balance somewhere in the risks vs. safety discussion. When most
of this list was growing up, we worked did not have seatbelts and
Ground-fault protected outlets and double insulated tools, or even 3-wire
plugs for AC ( here in the US anyway). We now have an entire industrial and
bureaucratic complex that makes a living from allegedly protecting us.

So now kids get helmets, shin guards, etc while they ride skateboards,
snowboards and the like, and still get badly messed up or killed because
they hit a tree or roll out in front of a car. We have automobiles that
would appear to be, and are marketed as safety cocoons, yet when you see an
accident, the occupants are still very badly injured because they drive like
that cocoon will protect them from every possible hazard. Except driving
like an idiot.

End of rant, and hopefully, of thread.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM
Tipp City, OH