[time-nuts] 60hz disciplined watch

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:31:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 4/20/11 9:39 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> In message<4DAF0B0D.4080501 at earthlink.net>, Jim Lux writes:
>>
>>> I found this in a generator interconnection agreement:
>>>
>>> This frequency response control shall, when enabled at the direction of
>>> CAISO, continuously monitor the system frequency and automatically
>>> reduce the real power output of the Asynchronous Generating Facility
>>> with a droop equal to a one-hundred (100) percent decrease in plant
>>> output for a five (5) percent rise in frequency (five (5) percent droop)
>>> above an intentional dead band of 0.036 Hz

I used to know and older engineer who worked with power systems.  He'd
be in his late 80's now.  He explained the process they used to bring
on-line a new generator.   Connect a light bulb between the "hot" line
of the generator and the utility power and adjust the phase and
frequency until the bulb went out and stayed out, then throw the
switch.   not exactly high tech.  I'd bet there are still places where
this is what's used.

--
=====
Chris Albertson