[time-nuts] UTR timescale draft spec

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 6 09:36:13 UTC 2011

On 06/08/11 04:00, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have just written up the formal spec for the UTR timescale which I'm
> seeking to implement on my "rubber duckie" timekeeping apparatus which I
> had discussed here earlier this week, and I have released the first
> draft for review:
>
> http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/timekeeping/draft-utrspec.txt
> http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/timekeeping/draft-utrdef.txt
>
> Hopefully it will clarify exactly what I am after and why I'm doing it.

 > 0. Introduction
 >
 > The present specification outlines a low cost method for obtaining a
synthetic
 > timescale that satisfies the following requirements:

"low cost method" is a potential goal, skip statement here.

 > * The timescale is continuously available in real time and provides a
socially
 >   acceptable approximation of canonical mean solar time known as GMT.

GMT is no longer used, but you may use it as a popular name reference
for what is now known as UT1 or UT2 time-scales.

Skip "socially acceptable"

 > * The reading of the timescale at any instant is expressible as a
real number
 >   with all standard mathematical properties of a real number.
Expressing civil
 >   time as a real number is a practical requirement for most everyday
uses of
 >   time as a subdivision of the calendar, and true mean solar time in
the sense
 >   of an abstract angle relative to the fictitious mean sun is most
certainly a
 >   real number.  This requirement rules out the 23:59:60 leap second
notation.

This has nothing to do with real numbers, so skip that reference.
Infact, what you tries to say is that you want a monotonic counting
mechanism, which timescales such as UTC does not provide upon leap seconds.

Shall I continue my review or have you got the criticism by now?

Cheers,
Magnus